I've put 5 short poems onto Youtube but there will be a short break before I put up anymore. This posting gives the procedure used to create and upload the videos, so I know how I did it when I come to make the next one! I hope you find it helpful.
Shooting the video
After an unsuccessful attempt to buy a camcorder from Tesco, I found my digital camera allowed me to record a video that was long enough for my short poems and had adequate sound recording. My videos have, therefore, been recorded with a Canon IXUS 8515.
- Choose the location to film and what you're going to wear.
- Take a few photo stills first to check the background and to get any snaps you might want to use in the finished video.
- Turn off any background sounds - any fans or filters (for instance in a fish tank).
- Stabilise the camera and put it into position.
- Once the recording has started, wait for about 3 seconds before speaking - so you can edit out any camera click at the beginning - and, for the same reason, wait for 3 seconds when you've finished before switching it off.
- Don't speak too quickly.
- Take the card out and transfer the files to your computer.
Make into a movie
- In Microsoft Movie Maker, make a 'New Project'.
- Use 'Import Media' and import your video files and any snaps you want to use that you have copied to the computer.
- If not already selected, tick 'View' ->'Timeline'.
- If not already selected, use the drop-down box at the top of the screen to select 'Imported media'.
- Select the video or photo you want to use and drag it down to the timeline at the bottom and drop there. Drag and drop in all the items you want and put them in the required order. Try to make sure the actual video content starts before 14 seconds or people are likely to stop watching.
- On the left hand side, select 'Titles and Credits'.
- If the video has clicks at the start or end, drag the beginning or ending bar in so they are missed.
- Select 'Starting title or ending credits', enter the text you want.
- Choose 'Change the text font and color' to pick the color, font type and size.
- Choose 'Change the title animation' if you want to add an effect to how the text is shown (ticker tape, flying in etc).
- If you want to add text over the video at different points, right click the video and select 'Title on the selected clip', or use the 'Titles and Credits' option on the left. If you want to add a lot of text at different points, then at the top of the Timeline section select the + magnifying glass to expand the timeline - it then shows smaller intervals and makes it easier to match the size of the text area to the length you want it to display.
- For each text section and for each video or photo choose any special effect (eg fade in or fade out etc) but don't use too many as they slow down the loading of the video.
- Select the photos and the opening and closing titles on the Timeline at the bottom of the screen and drag in or out the right hand end to make the time they display shorter or longer as wanted (I think the default length is a bit too long).
- Right click the photos or video and select 'Effects' to add any effect (don't use too many as it slows down the load time).
- You can also add audio tracks, although I used the audio on the original recordings.
- Play the movie at any point to check your settings.
- When you have something you are happy with select File ->'Publish Movie'. These are the settings I used for this:
- Publish to this computer
- Enter filename and choose folder
- Best quality for playback on my computer
- Play movie when I finish
- Change and re-publish the movie as many times as you want, and don't forget to save it.
- Once you have something you are happy with then you can upload the Microsoft Movie you made above to Youtube. However, if you want something that will be in a smaller file and will load and run quicker (though with reduced quality) then convert it into a flash video. I used 'Free FLV Converter' from http://www.koyotesoft.com/.
- Open 'Free FLV Converter'.
- Select 'Conversion to FLV'.
- Browse and then select the movie you made above. 'Open' it.
- Change the 'Output path' if you want to change the path or name.
- I didn't change any other settings as the default ones were the settings recommended by Youtube already.
- Select 'Convert'.
Load to youtube
- Sign in to Youtube.
- At the top of the screen, select 'Upload'.
- Select 'Upload video', and select your .flv file.
- While it is uploading you can change the details of the video, set the 'Privacy' to 'Private' so you can select the settings you want before you publish it. Or you can change any of these settings after it has uploaded.
- Add a title and description.
- Set some tags (find ones on similar videos and use similar settings as these will help people to find your video).
- Select a category.
- If this is the first video then you will have to wait for a thumbnail image to be available. Youtube will give you 3 to choose from, select the one you prefer.
- Set any other settings, comments, voting, responses and location if you want to etc.
- Run the video and check you are happy with how fast it loads.
- Once you are happy, set 'Privacy' to 'Public'.
- It is now available to the world (if Public) or to selected users if you use a list.
Change settings on youtube
- You can go back and change the settings at any time by selecting 'My Videos', select the video, and 'Edit'.
- If you have Youtube friends or subscribers then they will get an update about your video anyway, but you can also send them a note using Youtube messaging or sharing.
- Create a 'Playlist' and add your video to it.
- Like it and add it to your favourites.
- Select your Channel page, make sure your channel has channel tags and is visible.
- Select the 'Videos and Playlist' tab and select the playlist you put your video into and decide how you want all playlists to appear on your channel page and configure any other settings.
Making a video is great fun and it only takes a few minutes to perform the above and upload it. Once it is loaded you can use Youtube->Account->Insight to see how many views you are getting and where in the world it has been seen. Amazing.
Let me know how you get on.
My Related Postings
Add an artist page in facebook